Spring has finally arrived, and with it, the nice weather! It’s a fact this makes people feel like running and being more active.
We know that, for those who practice it, running is not just a hobbie, but a lifestyle. If you are an authentic runner, who refuses to stop working out during your holidays, this list of the best running routes in Barcelona is for you!
Choose your favorite route!
Barcelona is an ideal place to practice running. And we don’t affirm this just because we’re in love with our city (well, we must confess, we really are!), but its weather and its variety of running routes make it the paradise for every runner. Doesn’t matter if you prefer urban paths or you like to run in natural environments, in this list you’ll find your perfect running route. For sure!
Discover the city to the rhythm of running
What do you think about running and discovering Barcelona at the same time? These are some of the best places to run in the condal city. Take note!
- Parc de la Ciutadella: They call it the lung of Barcelona, and there’s a reason: its 18 hectareas comprise hundreds of spices of flora and fauna make it a little oasis inside the city. There you could find monumental fonts, different kinds of gardens, a hothouse and even a castle!
- Parc Güell: Running and modernism, both together, why not? Many runners of Barcelona choose this famous park, artwork of Antoni Guadí, for working out. Located in one of the highest parts of the city, it’s a fantastic viewpoint of Barcelona, so you can enjoy its fantastic views while you practice your favorite sport. Although you have to pay for getting inside the monumental area, the access to the surroundings of the park is free.
- Can Dragó: This public park located in the Nous Barris district, has an extension of 11 hectareas, where you could run and enjoy its familiar atmosphere. Inside the park, there’s a sports center with running tracks, for those who look for a professional training. Although it’s private, on its web you can ask for an invitation.
- Avinguda Diagonal: Undoubtedly, the route along this avenue is the most urban option you could find in Barcelona, as it goes across the whole city. During its 11 km you could discover the daily life of the citizens, majestic buildings and some of the most known monuments of the city.
Training with sea views
There’s not a thing like the sea breeze to refresh a work out journey. With these routes you could enjoy running next to the Mediterranean Sea.
- Passeig Marítim: Running along the sea side is a pleasure that you can’t enjoy in every city. Fortunately, Barcelona has a seafront promenade with an extension of 10km, which is the perfect place for the runners who love the beach. If training close to the sea is your thing, Twentytu is your hostel. We’re just 20 minutes walking from Bogatell beach.
- Sitges and Castelldefels. If you prefer less crowded beaches, we recommend you visit nearby cities like Sitges or Castelldelfs. Besides enjoying their landscapes, you could find small bays during your training. What a luxurious plan!
Running in nature
Do you like to feel the fresh air? Then these routes are made for you!
- Montjüic: Is it possible to enjoy the freedom of the mountain in the city? In Montjüic it is. This mountain is located a few meters from one of the most emblematic places of Barcelona: Plaza de España. Don’t be surprised if you see a lot of runners, this is one of the favorite places to run for the people of Barcelona.
- Carretera de les Aigües: This rural route goes down the Sierra de Collserola and doesn’t only offers spectacular views of Barcelona, but also of the Tibidabo park which is 2km away. If you want to disconnect from the city, this is the perfect place!
- Parc fluvial Riu Llobregat: This route arrives to El Prat beach and goes through the Riu Llobregat park. If you are passionate about photography, don’t forget your phone at home! You could take great pictures of its different landscapes: from green spaces full of vegetation, to small villages with buildings designed to the typical architecture of the area. Besides, close to the airport, there’s an area where planes fly very close to the ground… the feeling is impressive!
If you prefer to train with other runners, you can always join any running club of Barcelona. Here we suggest some of them, so you can find your running mates. And if you want to take action beyond the training, don’t forget to check our post about the best races in Barcelona. Ready, steady…go!